(Knights of Pythias building)

Skagit River Journal

of History & Folklore

The most in-depth, comprehensive site about the Skagit

Covers from British Columbia to Puget Sound. Counties covered: Skagit, Whatcom, Island, San Juan, Snohomish & BC. An evolving history dedicated to committing random acts of historical kindness
Noel V. Bourasaw, founder(bullet) , Sedro- Woolley, Washington, 98284
Home of the Tarheel Stomp (bullet) Mortimer Cook slept here & named the town Bug

(Click to 

send email)
Site founded Sept. 1, 2000. We passed 5 million page views on June 6, 2011
The home pages remain free of any charge.
Please pass on this website link to your family, relatives, friends and clients.

Sedro-Woolley businesses and buildings, Part One

(Metcalf Street)
      This photo of the 800 block of Metcalf Street in the foreground will help you locate some of the businesses in the stories below. We found this postcard of downtown Sedro-Woolley and were fascinated with it because it shows a rare view of Metcalf Street, looking north (not south!), sometime in the late Teen years of the 20th century. We know that it was taken sometime before December 1922 because the third building from the left is the Knights of Pythias Building (2006: Paul Kelly's Cascade Fabrics) and that date is when the second story and the half-third story was added to the building. At the far left is the Livermore Apartments, at the northwest corner of State and Metcalf Streets. Next is the Post Office in its old location, built by Skagit Realty sometime before 1912 (2006: Mailboxes business). Next is the KP building, which then housed the Princess Theater. Next is what would become the Piggly Wiggly Grocery in 1923 (2006: Bill's Frame Shop). Next is Curry Furniture (2006: Cascade Mountain Loans). Next is F.A. Hegg Grocery (2006: Hometown Cafe). Next is Jack Ames Barber Shop and Hustead Millinery (2006: Glenn Allen Jeweler). Next is Gampp's Confectionery, then a barber (2006: Holland Drug). There was a narrow alley, which today is a walkthrough with benches. Next was Holland Drugs extension, which would soon house J.C. Penney's (2006: Skagit Surveyors). At the corner of Woodworth is the Bingham-Holland Building, housing Bingham Bank and Holland Drugs.
      Note the stand of first-growth fir that still stood north of what is Hwy. 20 today. On the far right is the Masonic Building (2006: north half of Greer Drummond's Valley Hardware). Next is Len Livermore's Ford Dealership (2006: Oliver-Hammer Clothes Shop). Next is Lederle's Shoe Shop in a new building (2006: gutted and being totally rebuilt for an engineers firm). Next is--depending on the year, either the Skagit County Courier or theCourier-Times newspaper, which changed owners to Frank and Grace Evans in January 1918. We suspect that this view was about 1918-20 because the next two lots up to the corner of Woodworth street appear to be empty. Tailor Joe Oliver erected the building next to the Courier where two gift shops are located today. And in October 1923 the Odd Fellows (IOOF) erected their two-story building, which is a video store today, with the hall above long vacant.

      We continue our Odds and Ends section with small articles culled from issues of various newspapers, especially the Skagit County Times of Sedro-Woolley and the Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times. We were aided in this section by Larry and Josef Kunzler and their loan of clippings to us. And we can now add photo scans quickly, due to the kindness and generosity of Dan and Maureen Royal. Other clippings, stories and photos came from former Sedro-Woolley resident, Pat Hegg Brown, and from our own painstaking research of microfilm and copies of old newspapers.
      These stories are short and to the point and may be expanded in the future as we do more research. We also hope that readers will share family memories and copies of documents and photos that will supplement the basic stories or explain more about the individuals who are mentioned. We apologize for the condition of some of the photos. Many are from Xeroxed copies of the original newspaper.
      In future issues, we will add more stories about the Sedro-Woolley area and also feature the upriver district, western Skagit County, LaConner, Mount Vernon, Samish Island north through Whatcom County, and short stories about neighboring counties and all over Washington state. We want to remind you that we very much enjoy copies of stories from any old newspapers, especially those before 1910, including but not only the early Mount Vernon newspapers; the Skagit County Times, Skagit County Courier and Sedro Press of Sedro-Woolley; the Edison Phonograph; the Puget Sound Mail and its "Pioneer editions" of the 1940s-70s, and various early, short-lived newspapers of the upriver boom days.. Many of those papers have burned up in various fires and those stories have not been seen by anyone for decades.

George W. White buys The Fair
Skagit County Times (Sedro-Woolley), April 5, 1917
      George W. White, of Everett, has purchased the five, ten and 25-cent business in this city which has been conducted for some time past by Sam Moulton, the deal having been concluded on Monday of this week, and Mr. White is now in active control. The store has been known as The Fair and will continue to do business under that title. Under Mr. Moulton's management, The Fair has made a fine reputation and this Mr. White promises to do his best to maintain. Mr. Moulton has built up a substantial business, and this Mr. White will exert his best ability to perpetuate upon the same basis of fair dealing and prompt service that has governed in the past. Mr. White guarantees the fullest and best possible service to all patrons and extends a hearty invitation to everyone to come in and get acquainted. Mr. White has a family, wife and two children, which will become citizens here as soon as a residence can be found for them to live in. Meanwhile, don't forget to visit The Fair store.

George White dies Saturday
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, June 4, 1936
(Knights of Pythias building)
This photo of the Knights of Pythias building was taken in 1945, long after the second and third stories were added. It is on the west side of the 800 block of Metcalf in Sedro-Woolley. — Photo by Miles (unknown to us), Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, March 15, 1945

      Friends of George White, Sedro-Woolley merchant, were shocked to hear of his sudden death at his tome on Warner street early Sunday morning, following a heart attack. Sedro-Woolley stores closed Wednesday afternoon during his funeral, which was held at the Lemley chapel, with interment at Evergreen cemetery in Everett pall bearers were E. P. Jech, Frank Britchford, Everett Blackburn, C.J. Wicker, Q.R. Bingharn and George Bellos. Mrs. G. A. Jones and Mrs. E. P. Jech sang several selections, accompanied by Mrs. W.O. Douglass. Rev. H. L. Ford, of the Christian church, was in charge of the services.
      George W. White was born Aug. 14, 1881, in Ontario, Canada. He lived at Everett for some time and came to Sedro-Woolley 20 years ago to start White's Variety Store, which he operated until two or three years ago, when he went into the furniture business, and had just completed moving his store to a new location on Metcalf street a week before his death [unknown location — does anyone know where?]. For years he took an active part in all civic affairs in this city.
      He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Anna White, of this city; by his son, Ben White of this city, and daughter, Mrs. Myrtle Hess of San Francisco. Mrs. Hess was here for the funeral. According to present plans, Mrs. White plans to carry on the furniture store business with the assistance of Ben White, who will also continue to operate his service station at Ferry and Murdock streets.
      [Update October 2007, Journal Ed. note: Gosh, are we embarrassed. We originally posted an anecdote about George White's wife, Anna, but we have to correct ourselves because of a very interesting letter from Laurie Mills, who recently toured this area on vacation with his wife, Margaret, from Hampton, New Brunswick. Margaret's great aunt and uncle were George W. and Jessie White, who lived in Concrete for many years. Like other historians, we confused that White couple with the White couple we refer to above. As it turns out, there were two different George W. Whites, both lived in Skagit County and both immigrated from Canada at nearly the same time. The George W. White in Sedro-Woolley was married to Anna. We will profile George and Jessie in a separate story in the near future. We thank Laurie and Margaret for setting us straight.

M.F. Gampp buys Mount Vernon candy store, 1922
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Nov. 23, 1922
      Marion F. Gampp, proprietor of the News Stand and Gampp's cafe of this City, has purchased the Sugar Bowl, one of Mt. Vernon's ice cream parlors. The Sugar Bowl is being run by E.W. Gampp of Seattle, a brother of the local man, who has moved to Mt. Vernon. The former owners of the Sugar Bowl were Mr. and Mrs. Henson.
      [Journal Ed. note: Both the building and the confectionery have a long history. The confectionery started just after the turn of the 20th century under an unknown owner in a woodframe building where Holland Drugs stands today. Bruner Mills later owned the business during the teen years. The Gampp family owned a confectionery in Hamilton in about 1915 and they bought out Bruner Mills here in late 1918. We have a photo of the business at that time but we cannot identify the location on Metcalf Street, nor can Roger Peterson. The Gampps also soon bought out Lee Hebner's newsstand and Carl Gampp, the couple's son, ran it. In 1919, they moved into the old building at 812 Metcalf, part of the present Holland Drug site (new Holland building opened in 1957). Both businesses stood in that location until about 1946 — see the Pete & Bob's story below.]

Livermore Garage offers daily concerts
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Jan. 18, 1923
      Music will still soothe the savage breast, according to the old saying, and Len Livermore is working out thc idea in his garage. A big Edison phonograph has been installed in the office and when irate patrons rush in to demand why their new Stars do not sparkle, they listen to the strains of sweet music.
      When a new tire is being placed on a car, the phonograph plays "Blest Be the Tire that Binds." The ancient melody, "Get Out and Under," is quite popular with the mechanics. When some young boy drives in with a wrecked car, just as the family was planning to go on a long trip, George Cockreham, out of sympathy, plays "The Old Folks at Home."
      When some young couple tries spooning in the garage, the phonograph plays, "Take Your Girlie to the Movies, if You Can't Make Love at Home."
      When some wild Irishman wants to rise up and fight because his car refuses run, the phonograph plays "The Wild Irish Rose." Often when wrecks from up the valley are brought in, the well known record, "The Moon Shine's Bright" is played. When a tire needs pumping, the phonograph plays, "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles.'
      When a broken spring is to be replaced, the phonograph plays a record from the "Spring Maid." Then when a new car is purchased and the new owner, happy that he need walk no more, drives away, the phonograph plays as a farewell tune, "It Is Well With My Sole."
      [Journal Ed. note: Len Livermore built the garage for his Ford dealership in 1915. That is the building that houses Oliver-Hammer Clothes Shop today. Sometime in 1921, Livermore lost his Ford franchise and Emil P. Jech moved up here from Bend, Oregon, and was granted the franchise. He conducted the new business in the State Street garage — the eastern half of today's Marketplace grocery location, until November 1924, when he opened the Universal Motor Co. on Murdock street, today's Sedro-Woolley Museum building. Livermore continued selling various models of automobiles in his original garage for an unknown time in the 1920s through at least 1926].

Stop and Shop will have delivery
from their new location

Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Sept. 27, 1923
      The Stop and Shop store, which is moving from its present location to a larger building on the [northeast] corner of Metcalf and Woodworth streets, will be ready for business in the new place in a short time, probably by the first of the week. One of the changes made by S. L. Brown, the proprietor, is the establishment of a delivery system.
      The Stop and Shop store, which [bought] a new truck, and will now have two trucks, which will be used for making deliveries to customers. Orders delivered in the city or within a mile of the city, amounting to $3, will be delivered free twice daily. Orders for $10 or more will be delivered free in Lyman, Hamilton, Burlington, Big Lake, Prairie and other nearby towns. Orders from Clear Lake amounting to $5 or more, will be delivered free; and orders of $15 or more will be delivered free in Concrete.
      The following are the days arranged by the Stop and Shop store for their deliveries out of town: Tuesday, Lyman and Hamilton; Wednesday, Big Lake; Thursday, Burlington and Allen; Friday, Prairie. There will be several novel features in the new Stop and Shop store, and new trucks will added for the delivery service, as needed.
      [Journal Ed. note: when this brick building was erected in 1912, following the July 1911 fire that destroyed two business blocks, it became Theodore Bergman's Star Grocery. He established one of the first sanitary markets in northwest Washington, replacing the old cracker barrels with modern display racks for fresh produce and grocery staples. He continued in business until early 1923 and then moved to Bellingham where he became an auto salesman. He died there on Sept. 18, 1973. His daughter, Joyce Bergman Rickman, still lives in Othello, with a summer home on "Sedro-Woolley Row" on Jupiter Beach, Camano Island. We are preparing a website on the Bergman family. Theodore's grandparents arrived in Sedro-Woolley in 1892, emigrating here from Sweden.]

New restaurant is started here
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Feb. 14, 1924
      Mr. and Mrs. L.S. Thorne have opened a new restaurant in the building on Ferry street, just west of Met- calf, occupied for the past few years by Ricker's cleaning shop. Mr. Ricker disposed of the cleaning business. Mr. and Mrs. Thorne have had considerable experience in restaurant work, it is said. They lived at Prairie recently.
Journalresearch about the Thornes and Thornwood
      We think that the building referred to was half of what later became the Four Aces Tavern and now is the Overflow Tavern, but maybe a reader will know for sure. L.S. Thorne may have been the son of Woodbury J. Thorne, who started his namesake village of Thornwood in 1886. His homestead was located north of Cranberry Lake in the Prairie district near the homes of Lyman S. Hall and Amariah Kalloch III, and near today's Hwy. 9. According to the 1906 Illustrated History book, Thorne was born in Lewiston, Maine, on May 6, 1851. At age 18 he was apprenticed as a bricklayer in Maine and he emigrated to San Francisco in 1885 where he continued in that profession and soon opened a fruit and produce store.
      After just a year he moved to Skagit County and located a Prairie. He cleared a small space and built a house, which also served as a post office from 1900 on and occasionally as an overnight stop for travelers. By 1906, he had 50 acres in crops and pasture on a 121-acre parcel, and owned a small dairy with Jersey cattle.He married Adelia M. Lathrop of Vermont, whose family dated back to Mary, Queen of Scots. She was the postmaster of their village here. We do not know when or where they married, but she had taught 20 years in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Washington. She was a devoted worker in the Good Templars' Lodge and was active in the Congregational church. Mr. Thorne was a Baptist, a Mason, a Republican in politics and a member of the Skagit County Pioneer Associations.]

(1890 cabin near Sedro)
      One of Frank LaRoche Sr.'s most interesting photos is this one that has been published a few times under titles like "the first house in Sedro-Woolley." We recently found it in the University of Washington [UW] Special Collections Archives Division, a resource that seems boundless in its breadth and follows strict procedures to determine the provenance of photos. It is titled "Sedro-First House Built in Sedro, Skaget Co. Wa. 565." We compared the handwritten caption in the lower right corner to known captions by Frank LaRoche and they match. This cabin stands in a dense forest that could have been anywhere from Ball's Camp/Sterling on the west to old Sedro by the river itself. We strongly suspect that this could be the cabin at the old town of Sterling where Minnie von Pressentin and her children slept overnight while traveling upriver in January 1878 to join her husband, Karl (Charles) von Pressentin. The cabin was built by pioneer Lafayette Stevens, who found the coal seams five miles northeast of Sedro in 1878 that became the Cokedale mines. Paul von Pressentin noted that the Stevens cabin had a sleeping loft upstairs. You will see in the full-sized photo a ladder leading to such a loft. We hope that a reader will know more about the photo. This is what makes studying historical photos such fun. You can also see more LaRoche photos and other early photos of old Sedro by the river at this site.

LaRoche moves to State Street
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, July 29, 1926
      Frank LaRoche, Jr., proprietor of the Globe confectionery store, sold out his business and will move the LaRoche photograph studio to a room on State street from its present location in the Schneider Building on Metcalf Street. LaRoche. has already sold the stock to the Bungalow confectionery and is preparing to reopen the photograph business next week. [Only part of story available.]

Green Globe confectionery is torn down
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, March 5, 1929
      The old frame building, which has been occupied by the Green Globe confectionery and is now being torn down, is one of the old buildings in the community. It was built in 1899 and was used first as a paint shop by McMurray and Johnson. The lot was first bought in 1898 by Jim Renfro.
      The place was next used for a plumbing shop and then for many years the Marsh photograph studio occupied the building. From a photograph gallery it became a confectionery, operated for a long time by Hank Wicker, and has been a confectionery and cigar store until the present time. It has one of the most respectable histories of any of the older buildings in the town.
      [Journal Ed. note: Frank LaRoche was one of the most famous pioneer Northwest photographers, known best for his extensive photographic series of Indians living in or near Sedro-Woolley in the 1890s and for his photos of the growing coastal cities of Washington state. He moved his business from Seattle to Sedro-Woolley permanently sometime by 1910. He leased space from W.B. Pigg, who owned the original woodframe Schneider building on Metcalf street, a woodframe structure that preceded the brick building that the bowling alley most recently occupied. The move mentioned in the 1926 story above was also to a Pigg building in 1926. Frank LaRoche Sr. had retired by then and his son, Frank LaRoche Jr., managed the business. The son moved to Bremerton in 1930 and you can read his obituary at this Journal site. The father died in Sedro-Woolley in 1936 and the son died in Bremerton in 1940.
      The location of the Green Globe building was a bit of a mystery until we discussed the 1929 article with Sedro-Woolley researcher Roger Peterson. We know that James Renfro owned lots on the east side of Metcalf, north of where the Schooner Tavern stands today, so we infer that this was the location. After checking the 1903 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, we also see that an alternative location could have been on the lot of the present Baldridge/Seidell building, on the south side of the alley, just north of the Chamber of Commerce building on the west side of the 700 block of Metcalf Street. We hope that a reader will have old photos of those locations on Metcalf Street. We welcome scans or copies of any of the early streets of early Sedro-Woolley. They are literally few and far between.]

Texas men rent service station
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Jan. 5, 1928
      Orville and Charles Nicholas of Fort Chaidburne, Texas have taken over the Bingham Park service station and will manage it hereafter. The men are recent arrivals in Sedro-Woolley and will live on the Sumner place in the Garden of Eden district.
      [Journal Ed. note: This service station at the corner of the Cook Road and Borseth Street (now Hwy 20) is still shrouded in mystery. We have a vague reference to this being the second service station in Sedro-Woolley in 1919. A Mr. LaPlant owned it in the early 1920s but we have very little information about him or the business. After many years of being vacant, the old building was occupied by Domino's Pizza from 1992-2003. We hope that a reader can supply more details and maybe even a photo.]

Ludwick-Wuest new radio dealers
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Oct. 11, 1928
      Ludwick-Wuest company has been appointed authorized dealer for Stewart-Warner radio sets in Sedro-Woolley. It was because demonstrations of the new set were so impressive that the Ludwick-Wuest concern accepted the agency for Stewart-Warner, especially were they well pleased with demonstrations of the new device invented at the Stewart-Warner factory at Chicago and designed to test the tone quality of a radio receiver.
      Salesmen at Ludwick-Wuest are convinced that this new device opens up a new era for tone reproduction. This new testing device is really an electrica1 ear. It records the reproduction of music by the radio receiver and speaker, and simultaneously the same music in its original presentation. These two records are then compared and any imperfections in the reproduced music are corrected.
      [Journal Ed. note: This business was located in the Masonic Building at the northeast corner of State and Metcalf streets, built in 1923 and now occupied by Bus Jungquist Furniture.]

Candy stores in Sedro-Woolley
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, Oct. 11, 1928
      All that is needed in everyday diet, can be found in one piece of candy. Candy suited to any taste may be purchased in Sedro-Woolley at any of the following stores: Rex Drug store, Gampps, Britchfords, and Sally Ann Sweet Shop. It is suggested by candy dealers that he proper way to celebrate the sweetest day would be to purchase oneself a gift box of candy.

Brossard incubator hatches over 15,000 chicks
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, March 5, 1929
      On the Brossard chicken ranch a mile east [west?] of Sedro-Woolley on the Cook road, are thousands and thousands of baby chicks, hatched the first of the week. The incubator, which is the largest in this part of the county, holds 15,000 eggs at one time and is operated entirely by electricity, and was installed at a cost of several thousand dollars.
      About 5,000 white leghorn chicks were hatched Sunday, and placed in the brooders. Mr. Brossard disposed of almost 2,000 of the day old chicks which were ordered before the eggs were placed in the incubators. Another 5,000 were hatched the middle of the week, and there will be several thousand a week hatched, as fast as the incubator can operate.
      The little chicks, looking like butter balls, make a pretty sight as thousands of them are huddled together and many local people have taken their children out to the Brossard farm to see the baby chicks. Mr. Brossard has more than 2,000 grown chickens, and plans to do an extensive business this year in raising chickens on a 1arge scale. Mr. Brossard was recently made a member of t the Sedro-Woolley Rotary club as a poultryman.
      [Journal Ed. note: If you are an old-timer, you may recall this business, which was located on a lane north of the old DeHart service station on the Burlington Highway, west of where McDonald's stands today. Roger Peterson was surprised, as I was, that the business was originally so large and that the original buildings fronted on the Cook Road. We hope, by the way, that a reader will have more information and a photo of the old DeHart's and other service stations that stood north of the highway.]

Changes are made by Piggly Wiggly
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, March 3, 1932
      Oscar: Johnson, local Piggly Wiggly grocery store manager, this week announced the enlargement and remodeling of the local store to meet the increased business demands. The store arrangement has been changed considerably and several feet added to the sales room. Celebrating the change, the store is offering a special food sale event in this issue.
      [Journal Ed. note: the Piggly Wiggly was located on the west side of the 800 block of Metcalf Street at number 818, which is today the Hometown Cafe. The old F.A. Hegg and Son grocery was two doors down at 822. When F.A. Hegg retired his three sons took over that business. Son "Fuzz" Hegg employed his sense of humor to compete with the Piggly-Wiggly store by opening the Fuzzy-Wuzzy grocery a block north from 1923-27, on the east side of the street next to the Swastika Building. According to researcher Roger Peterson, the Piggly Wiggly opened in 1923 and the chain, including a store in Burlington, was bought out by Tradewell Stores in 1939. See this Journal website about F.A. Hegg and this Journal website about Fuzz]

Family week at Dream Theater
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, June 9, 1932
      Father and mother and sisters and brothers, all can go to the Dream theater next week, for 50 cents. Manager Dad Abbott is holding family week from June 12 to 18, and the family with a large offspring can see the show for the same price as the couple without children. People are to be trusted not to round up any neighborhood groups to adopt for the evening.
      Mr. and Mrs. George Green, of Clear Lake, with their eleven children, are offered an opportunity of a lifetime, for cheap entertainment, and there are some others, whose per capita cost of admission won't be much Some fine shows are offered with "Night Court," Sunday and Monday, and "Letty Lynton" now featured at the Fox in Seattle, set for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and then Nancy Carroll and all-star cast in "Wayward," Friday and Saturday.
      [Journal Ed. note: Mae Green Parker was one of those children. She married Bob Parker of the pioneer Clear Lake family of David Parker. For many years, Bob operated the Dependable Food Store at the southeast corner of Ferry and Metcalf Streets in the Swastika building, which is empty in 2006 except for Norm's Barber Shop at the north end. Mae still lives in her beautiful white house, originally built by W.R. Morgan (owner of the original water company and electric company in 1902), north of the old Great Northern tracks, at the corner of Northern Avenue and Puget Street. Read more about the Dream Theater and Dad Abbott at this Journal website ]

Many new jobs
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, April 9, 1936
      Frank Shelton has accepted a position with the Bingham Investment company as insurance salesman.
      Allen Freeman, who recently resigned from the Goodyear & Nelson mill office force to accept a position at the Bingham bank, left the bank the first of the week to work at the Skagit Steel & Iron Works, and Neil Shannon is now at the bank. Miss Beth Sumner is a new member of the Bingham Investment company force.
      [Journal Ed. note: Freeman was the father of the late Kerry Freeman, who was the president of the Sedro-Woolley Museum association for several terms.]

Donnelly buys cheese factory
Sedro-Woolley Courier-Times, May 13, 1937
      David M. Donnelly, well known Sedro-Woolley businessman, has purchased the interest of Louis Castrilli in the Hamilton Cheese Factory and Creamery company of this city, which has been closed for several weeks due to financial difficulties. He plans to start operating the plant again in the near future, as soon as arrangements can be made with milk shippers. Donnelly has his son, Norman Donnelly, associated with him in the creamery.
      Louis Castrilli will be employed as plant superintendent in the making of cheese, butter, casein and other dairy products. Negotiations have been carried on for some time with various people in an effort to reopen the plant with Attorneys Ward and Barclay representing Louis Castrilli's interest.
      [Journal Ed. note: David Donnelly was a butcher who moved to Woolley from Wickersham in the early 1890s and became one of the most prominent Republican leaders in the county, as well as acting as postmaster for Sedro-Woolley and operating the Donnelly Motor Co. with his son. We are preparing a profile of him in early 2006 and we hope that readers will help us with memories and copies of documents and photos. We also plan a feature on Louis Castrilli and his family, who started their cheese factory in Hamilton, so any help you can provide would be appreciated.]

Links, background reading and sources

Story posted on March 13, 2006, last updated Oct. 15, 2007 . . .Links updated Feb. 2017

 Please report any broken links so we can update them.

Getting lost trying to navigate or find stories on our site?
Read how to sort through our 800-plus stories.
Return to the new-domain home page
Links for portals to subjects and towns
Newest photo features
Search entire site
Looking for something special on our site? Enter name, town or subject, then press "Find" Search this site powered by FreeFind

    Did you find what you were seeking? We have helped many people find individual names or places, email if you have any difficulty.

    Tip: Put quotation marks around a specific name or item of two words or more, and then experiment with different combinations of the words without quote marks. We are currently researching some of the names most recently searched for — check the list here. Maybe you have searched for one of them?


(bullet) See this Journal Timeline website of local, state, national, international events for years of the pioneer period.
(bullet) Did you enjoy these stories and histories? The process continues as we compile and collaborate on research about Northwest history. Can you help? Remember; we welcome correction, criticism and additions to the record.
(bullet) Please report any broken links or files that do not open and we will send you the correct link. With more than 800 features, we depend on your report. Thank you.

If you would like to make a donation to contribute to the works of this website or any of the works of Skagit County Historical Society and Museum. We thank you up front. While in your PayPal account, consider specifying if you would like your donation restricted to a specific area of interest: General Funds, Skagit River Journal, Skagit City School, Facilities, Publication Committee, any upcoming Exhibit. Just add those instructions in the box provided by PayPal.

Please sign our guestbook so our readers will know where you found out about us, or share something you know about the Skagit River or your memories or those of your family. Share your reactions or suggestions or comment on our Journal. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to visit our site.

Currently looking for a new guestbook!

View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook
Email us at: skagitriverjournal@gmail.com
(Click to send email)
Mail copies/documents to Street address: Skagit River Journal c/o Skagit County Historical Society, PO Box 818, 501 S.4th St., La Conner, WA. 98257